[Pols-announce] FW: Concealed Carry Implementation Resources

Haider-Markel, Donald Patrick dhmarkel at ku.edu
Wed May 31 11:36:59 CDT 2017

FYI

From: Office of the Provost
Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2017 10:33 AM
To: Deans, Directors, and Department Chairs <dddc at ku.edu>
Subject: Concealed Carry Implementation Resources

Colleagues,

In preparation for changes affecting college campuses on July 1, here is requested syllabus and storage locker wording to share with you and your faculty and academic staff.

The syllabus document offers language that can help address concerns faculty have about types of courses and course activities and how they intersect with the state's concealed carry law and KU weapons policy. The wording, which covers a handful of academic scenarios, has been reviewed and revised by a small number of faculty, administrators, university governance leaders, and general counsel. It is provided to faculty as a service, but is not required. Faculty who would like to significantly modify these samples are encouraged to share their version with the Office of General Counsel before finalizing their syllabi.

Your faculty and academic staff will soon receive an email with a direct link to the syllabus resource on the Concealed Carry website<http://concealedcarry.ku.edu/>, but please discuss this resource and other information on the site with faculty, academic staff, and TAs in your units. The syllabus language will also be available through the Center for Teaching Excellence to help ensure it is available through a variety of avenues.

The other document includes wording that can be posted on and around publicly available lockers found in work, study, research, and recreation areas across campus. The lockers are not approved secure storage devices for handguns and the university does not provide approved storage. If your unit maintains use of common lockers, please help ensure proper notice is posted.

I anticipate more questions and concerns may develop as July 1 approaches and passes. I am committed to ensuring questions surrounding concealed carry on campus are answered and that we will work through any matters that may arise. I hope I can count on you to encourage your faculty, staff, and students to share their apprehensions, observations, and ideas with me. It will take all of us, working together, to ensure our campuses are as safe as possible.

Best wishes,

Neeli

Neeli Bendapudi

Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor